St Giles’ church, Cromwell
The church at Cromwell stands on ground that has been hallowed for over a thousand years. Originally there would have been a wooden structure, replaced sometime around the Norman conquest by one of stone. In the church as it stands today, there are windows dating from the 13th century, the south chancel arcade from the 14th century and the tower built around 1430. There are 3 bells, the earliest dating from around 1520. Much of the present appearance of the church dates from a major renovation in 1873.
St Giles’ is a small but keen congregation with an emphasis on community involvement and community-based events. We are particularly proud to have had reputedly the first female churchwarden in England, Frances Smith (d. 1906) and to be one of Britain’s “thankful villages” – having suffered no fatalities in the Great War.
Our usual monthly cycle of worship is temporarily postponed due to the effects of the coronavirus. Please see our Services & Events page for the latest info.
Frances Smith: Reputedly the first female churchwarden in England.