St Mary’s church, Carlton-on-Trent
St Mary’s is a Grade II* listed church. It was constructed in 1849-1851 on the site of an earlier medieval Chapel of Rest which was demolished in 1849.
The spire which can be seen for miles around, was added later. The patron was John Vere and the architect, GG Place of Nottingham whose grave is in the churchyard.
Of the earlier church, a few remnants remain: The south doorway of the nave probably dating to c.1200 and a 14th century window in the north wall of the chancel.
Carlton’s monthly cycle of worship is intended to combine the best of the old and new traditions, with Book of Common Prayer and Common Worship liturgy used regularly.
Our usual monthly cycle of worship is temporarily postponed due to the effects of the coronavirus. Please see our Services & Events page for the latest info.