01636 555082 vicar@becktrent.org.uk

St Mary’s Carlton-on-Trent

St. Mary’s is a Grade 2* listed church. It was constructed in 1849-1851 on the site of an earlier medieval Chapel of Rest which was demolished in 1849.

The spire which can be seen for miles around, was added later. The patron was John Vere and the architect, GG Place of Nottingham whose grave is in the churchyard.

Of the earlier church, a few remnants remain: the south doorway of the nave probably dating to c.1200 and a 14th century window in the north wall of the chancel.